CI is your team that need a reliable method in order to build software that is under development wherein it happens on a continual basis. This method can help the team to receive a frequent feedback and at the same time, its defects.
The Overview Practices
Continuous Integration has different important tools in order to build and allow performing a continuous high-quality check. To know more about it, here are the following:
- It is Source Code Control – This offers a foundation for the whole process. In usual software projects, they are working in order to transform the functional requirement into a source code in any kind of programming language.
- Build Tool – Once the source code required to be compiled, build tool need to support that kind of method. The modern IDE (Integrated Development Environment) such as Visual Studio or Eclipsed are allowed to perform this kind of task and to save the source code in files.
- Test Tools – This is part of build process, creation, and compilation of the binary outputs. Therefore, it is important that source code will pass on this tool.
- Trigger or Schedule -We want to create a build tool according to its schedule or even the changes in a state project source code. With that rule, it can trigger once the developer changes the state of a team works wherein continuously integrated to yield a steady build.
- Notifications -With this tool, this is responsible to the respond as well as fixing the issues.
- CI Server -This serves to interact with source control in a system and in order to obtain the updated version of the code, it will launch build tool and then, it will notify the user if there are failures. The continuous server offers web-based interface wherein it allows the team to check the status.
Tooling: Which Tools
CI is the important part in every software development setup. With that, team strives not to break the build tool while it is delivered in an incremental feature. However, while developer is focusing on adding different features, some code errors may appear and render software unusable.
Continuous Integration has its different kind of tool such as:
- Jenkins – This is advanced in Java and this can install in easiest way.
- Buildbot -This is based on twisted framework and his is alternative to Tinderbox. In fact, WebKit, Chromium, Mozilla, and other use this.
- Visual Studio -In typical software programming, this usual tool is being used to conduct a CI test or changes.
- Travis CI -This is the easiest tool that you can use in order to get started with CI server. This is an open source and free to host own server. Aside from that, it also allows the user to have a free testing for an open source projects.
However, the highly recommended tool for every CI project is Visual Studio wherein it makes the testing, changing of source code, and identifying the errors faster and easy.
— Slimane Zouggari